Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

A little advice

"I like my money right where I can see it - hanging in my closet." - Sex and The City

One of the most common ways I end up spending too much money is when I get into what I call a "shopping frenzy." It's those times when I go into the mall with every intention to come out with a bagful of new, shiny clothes. It's the times I tell myself that I'm allowed to spend money. Of course, there's always a reason why I allow myself to buy new clothes....I have somewhere important to go, it's a new season, I just got birthday or Christmas money, I really want a specific item, etc... My shopping frenzy occurs when I enter a store that overwhelms me with the sheer cuteness in their apparel. I love everything. I want everything. I can't stop. The real problem is that I'm such a sucker for a good bargain that I can't resist a good steal. I see a 3 dollar belt that goes perfectly with the 12 dollar dress I just picked out, and I grab that too...after all, it's only 3 dollars. The issue is that it adds up. And when I'm in my frenzy, a little fashion monster takes hold of me and tells me to buy clothes and accessories I will never EVER wear or ones I could resist in my normal state. Before I know it, I've swiped 150 dollars away on my debit card. Granted, I thoroughly enjoy the outcome, but it's still a true issue. Since I entered college, I became much better at controlling my impulses and my shopping frenzy episodes have slowly diminished. Every once in a while, I'll regress, but I quickly get ahold of myself and stop.

The reason I'm writing this entry is because I know I'm not the only girl who has shopping frenzyitis. There might even be a few guys out there with the same symptoms. I want to share with you some advice about how I stopped my dirty little addiction.

1. If you cant decide on whether or not you should get an item, take a step back and really look at it. Do you have to have it? Do you truly need it? If you're still not sure, put it down, leave the store. If you keep thinking about it over and over again with a sinking feeling of regret, then go back and get it. But if you quickly forget about it, it just wasn't meant to be.

2. One of the best pieces of advice I can give you was actually passed down to me by my mom. "Get what you like." If you see something and really love it, get it, even if it's a little pricier than what you normally can afford. Don't waste your time on something you don't love. The logic behind this philosophy is that you will get the most use out of clothes or accessories you absolutely adore. You'll find ways to use it, you'll mix and match and incorporate it into many outfits, and it will end up being worth the money you pay.

3. Make sure you can picture yourself wearing what you're buying. And if you can, ask yourself, "where?" It's all well and good to own something you love, but if you have nowhere to wear it, it is a waste of money. I often end up getting something I love, but either don't wear it for months or in rare cases, find it with the tags dangling down a year later. Similarly, if you're buying an accessory, make sure you have clothing or outfits that it will go with, or else it will go to waste. I have countless amounts of headbands, belts, and scarves that I really love, but never wear because they do not go with any of my outfits.

4. I always search for a bargain. Nothing brings me greater joy than getting 10 different things for a good price, but every once in a while, it is ok to splurge. Make sure it's on a quality item and one that you will get a lot of use out of, so choose wisely, but remember that you do deserve something great every now and again.

5. One of the most effective ways I have stopped my frenzies is by setting a limit on how much I can spend before going shopping. I tell myself that "today, I should only spend X amount of money," and then I try to get as many bargains and items as I can within that range. I never go more than 10 dollars over my limit.

6. Use cash when you shop. It is so easy to swipe away your card and think nothing of it. Your clothes are being bought through the technological world, and it sometimes doesn't even phase you. If you bring cash with you, not only are you limited to spending only the amount you have, but you can physically see the money dwindling away. It suddenly becomes harder to part with, and you get a little choosier about what you buy.

7. This tip is more about what to do AFTER you shop, instead of during. If you're ever embarrassed to wear something, ignore your insecurities and just rock it. chances are, everyone will love it just as much as you do, and wish they had the guts to wear it themselves. If they don't, who cares? It's not like they're Heidi Klum....unless they are...if you for some reason know Heidi Klum. In which case, take off whatever hideous outfit you're wearing....and give me a call, I'd like to meet her. ;)


I hope these tips helped you and all of your bank accounts!

No comments:

Post a Comment