Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Food Dreaming

The other day, I made a list of all of the clothing stores that New York has to offer. Now, I want to move onto something that might be even more important to me....the food options. There are so many restaurants to choose from that I don't think I could come close to eating at them all, even if I lived in New York for the rest of my life. I have really only grazed upon all of the endless restaurants, cafes and dessert shops, but so far, they have all been much better than the chains I so often eat at when I'm home. They all have pretty enticing happy hour specials and offer options restaurants in smaller towns don't, like homemade tortilla shells and baked octopus (ew). I'll skip the last choice. 
I try really hard to find restaurants that are affordable, which is no easy feat in NY. Sorry, but I think people who charge more than 12 dollars for a salad should be committed, and I get pretty depressed when my half-off happy hour burger is still 8 dollars. WTF NY? Your burgers and salads are not that much better than the ones we get in other states. 
Anyway,
Here are some places to check out if you're in the area... 

1. Cascabel Taqueria-- This Manhattan restaurant has some pretty bangin' homemade tacos and guac...and amazing watermelon margaritas with real watermelon chunks in it. Plus, they serve it in a mason jar, which makes it seem much cooler.


2. Ron Blacks--This one is in White Plains. It has the best happy hour deals around--4 bucks for a drink--not too shabby. Oh ya, the food isn't so bad either. They pretty much have anything you could want on the menu.


3. Pinkberry-- So, even though this isn't an option that's exclusive to New York, I had never been to one until I got here, so it makes the cut. Their new salted caramel frozen yogurt is tasty tasty, and the fresh fruit toppings they give you make you feel like it's ok that you're eating dessert.



4. Grom-This is the place to go for gelato. My aunt and uncle took me there the other day, and I love it because they use all natural ingredients and they change their flavors every month. Plus, they're straight from Italy. 

5. Dean and Delucca--This is a great place to go if you want to grab a quick salad or wrap for lunch or a  scrumptious baked good.



6. Landmarc-- I went there the other night, and even though it wasn't my favorite place so far, there calamari was delish, and it is in a beautiful building with a great view. 

7. McFadden's-- You Cannot beat the Wednesday night special... as long as you're a girl, that is. FREE drinks from 6-8 for the ladies. Yup, completely free. 

Places I want to try/promise I will try...

1. Shake Shack-- It's in the park right near where I work, and I still haven't made it there. Plus, it was featured in the movie "Something Borrowed." I must go.



2. Blockheads--I hear it's great Mexican food, a fun time and it's pretty affordable.

3. Sixteen Handles-- Perhaps even better fro-yo than Pinkberry's?

4. Beard Papa's Cafe-- I did a write-up about this cafe for my internship, and it really made me want to try it. They apparently have the best cream puffs you can get your hands on. 



Have you all been to any of these places? Do you have any recommendations? 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE mason jars for drinks! I've been thinking of putting a post up about them, I'm so in love.

    ReplyDelete